Cartomancy Corner

A home for my card musings and useful links

Home About me Ganesh

03 March 2013

Welcome to my Special Interest blog

If you've found your way here from my main blog - So Far, So Good - thanks for coming. Do come in! I hope my interest in "fortune telling" doesn't put you off. Although if you've seen any of SFSG apart from the crochet stuff you'll already be aware of my penchant for weird.

And if you've just stumbled across this blog - Welcome! Nice to meet you.

I've been tinkering with Tarot since my early teens. Only after I confessed to my mother (with some trepidation) my interest, did she roll her eyes heavenward, sigh "Not you, too", and reveal that my grandmother read cards and coffee grounds.

We lived in Canada at the time and Oma was in Germany. In those days, international phone calls were rare/expensive and visits even more so. Sadly, as a result, I hardly knew my grandmother. But when she heard of my interest she sent me a Skat deck (32 cards - 7 to 10, J, Q, K, A) with her meanings written on the cards. In German.

Some years ago I had a go at translating the notes, but with only a German/English dictionary and her old-fashioned handwriting to contend with I wasn't terribly successful. Now, with excellent online translators, I've been able to type in her notes and get reasonably sensible results out.

This then whet my appetite for playing card reading as opposed to Tarot. Plus I had also inherited her Swedenborg cards, a Lenormand-like deck (Oma passed away in 1998). I'm translating that now, too. One thing lead to another and before I knew it I had acquired (my husband would say "Paid good money for!") another seven fortune telling decks of various types (and I'm not done yet; don't tell him).
Edit 27Apr16: Seven decks? Hahahahahaaaa, this post is SO old!

So the time has come to take the little Tarot section from my original blog and give it its own space to grow. I can't promise there will be much in the way of actual blogging here, certainly not on a regular basis. But this is where I'll be housing my growing list of cartomancy links and snippets of useful info. Perhaps you'll find something here of interest to you, too.

~~ Judy

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Andrew said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger jmk said…

    Got it! Speak to you soon, Andrew. :)

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You posted this over a year ago and I know you may not get this message but I also read in playing cards that my mother taught me how to read. The lady who taught her was German and it was passed down to her from a long line of ancestors. I have forgotten more than I remember about reading and I decided to start looking cards and meanings up online. I have been astounded to find that, while lots of the card meanings are similar, none of them are the same as what my mom taught me. I would be interested in chatting with you to get your thoughts about this.

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger jmk said…

    Hi Gigi, so would I! :) You can email me on risingsign at btinternet dot com.

    I knew from various books I'd read that Oma's meanings were quite different, but I'd hoped to find a little pocket of people somewhere using something similar. So far, I've been disappointed. But I've since come to embrace and even rejoice in the diversity in playing card reading.

    I'm looking forward to hearing from you. ~~Judy

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger jmk said…

    PS. If you prefer we can chat here. :)

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How exciting to have found each other!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

                                                                               Newer posts